18 January 2013

Review: Falling for Your Madness by Katharine Grubb

Laura Adamsky is introduced to Professor David Julius Arthur Bowles, a lecturer in English at Boston College with and attractive British accent, an unusual set of dating rules and a very dictatorial chauffeur. David proposes that he and Laura become friends, which will entail meeting at specific times each week. The relationship may then progress to courting, if Laura chooses, which will allow weekend dates as well.

As the relationship progresses, we realise there is more to David than his strange set of rules, and what follows is an intriguing and unusual story. I have to admit that I found David and his rules quite controlling at first, but as the story progresses it becomes clear that he is practicing his own version of 21st Century chivalry, which gives the lady the power in the relationship.

My anti-David bias meant I’m still not entirely convinced that he doesn’t have mental problems (well, the book is called Falling For Your Madness) and I don’t really understand why Laura agreed to his rules (although, having lived in England, I see a British accent as normal, not necessarily sexy). But by the end, I could see the point of it, and while there isn’t a strong Christian component to the plot, it poses some interesting questions about how we act impacting on how we are treated in dating and relationships.

As Falling For Your Madnessis a self-published novel, readers will want to know about the style and editing. It is written in the first person from Laura's viewpoint. The style is clear and engaging, with no noticeable grammatical errors and I only found one typo (which is excellent – I found three in the traditionally-published novel I read after this). An intriguing and thought-provoking novel.

Thanks to Katharine Grubb and Plume of Doom Publishing for providing a free ebook for review. You can find out more about Katharine Grubb at her website.

No comments:

Post a Comment