13 May 2016

Friday Fifteen: Kara Isaac

Today I'd like to welcome debut author Kara Isaac to Iola's Christian Reads. Kara has recently released her first novel, Close to You (which I reviewed here), and she's here today to share her favourite 15 authors. Welcome, Kara!


1. C.S. Lewis

Who can get past the Chronicles of Narnia? Brilliant storytelling that appeals from small children up to the oldest adult.

2. Becky Wade

Becky Wade’s My Stubborn Heart that released a few years ago now was the book that helped me believe there was a place for my voice in Christian fiction.

3. Enid Blyton

What an imagination! From the Famous Five and Secret Seven, through to the boarding school girls of Mallory Towers and St. Claires then the wonderful magical worlds at the top of the Faraway Tree or on the other side of a ride on the Wishing Chair, she fed my reading for years.

Agreed! I wanted to go to Mallory Towers.

4. and 5. Carolyn Keene and Franklin W. Dixon

In my tweens and early teens I devoured every Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys book I could get my hands on! At the time sixteen and seventeen seemed sooo old ;-)

6. Brock and Bodie Thoene

To date, their Zion Covenant series, set during WWII remains my favourite series of all time. Even though it’s been almost twenty years since I first read it. And John Murphy was my first fictional crush ;-)

7. Susan Meissner

Every year, I wait for January to come and the next Susan Meissner story to be published. Her The Fall of Marigolds was my favourite book for 2014 and I still think about it!

8. Jen Hatmaker

I’m very late on the Jen Hatmaker fan-train. I only really discovered her last year and need to work my way through the backlog of her titles but For The Love had me alternating between hysterically laughing and pondering. You know it’s a great book when you’re sending photos of pieces of text to your sisters!

I've just looked up her books—they look excellent!

9. Carla Laureano

I love how Carla’s main characters never have a sense of the predictable about them. She crafts nuanced and complex people and isn’t afraid to go places where it’s rare for Christian fiction to go.

This doesn't surprise me—I could see similarities between Carla's writing and Close to You.

10. Katie Ganshert

Katie has such stunning writing and is so well deserving of all the awards and praise that she’s garnered. She just keeps getting better with every book.

11. Francine Rivers

Her Mark of the Lion series made ancient Rome so real and vivid. Capitvating!

And Marcus . . . 

12. Julie Cantrell

I just finished her latest release, The Feathered Bone. While I loved both of her previous books this one had me absorbed like nothing existed. The lyrical writing, the rawness of the protagonist, the hope weaved through the devastating circumstances. But be prepared for your heart to be shredded by the end and your eyes to be puffy!

13. Kate Morton

Kate’s The Shifting Fog was the first book that got my hooked on dual-time stories and it still remains one of my favourites ever!

14. Jenny Simmons

I love her memoir style of writing. She writes with an authenticity and vulnerability but also a great sense of humour.

15. Donald Miller

I haven’t read his most recent releases but I remember buying three copies of Blue Like Jazz so that I could pass them around friends and never risk losing my own copy!

That's some endorsement!

Kara, thank you for adding to my to-read pile. :)



About Kara Isaac


Kara Isaac lives in Wellington, New Zealand. Her debut romantic comedy, Close To You, is about a disillusioned academic-turned-tour-guide and an entrepreneur who knows nothing about Tolkien who fall in love on a Tolkien themed tour of New Zealand and just released from Howard Books. When she's not working her day job as a public servant, chasing around a ninja preschooler and his feisty toddler sister, she spends her time writing horribly bad first drafts and wishing you could get Double Stuf Oreos in New Zealand. She loves to connect on her website, on Facebook at Kara Isaac - Writer and Twitter @KaraIsaac

You can read the beginning of Close to You below:

No comments:

Post a Comment