19 September 2016

Introducing Barbara M Britton and Providence: Hannah's Journey



Today we welcome debut author Barbara M. Britton and get to know a little more about her. Barbara, welcome!

Thank you for hosting me on your blog today. I am happy to share my writing journey with you and the story behind “Providence: Hannah’s Journey.”


Do you plot or let the story unfold as you write?
I have read articles on whether writers should be plotters or pantsers (write by the seat of your pants). I tend to be a combination of the two. I’m a plantser. I have an outline of where the story is going and I write to meet each plot point. With Biblical fiction, sometimes the Bible gives the entire storyline, but other times it doesn’t. I based Hannah on the servant girl in the story of Naaman in II Kings 5. The Bible doesn’t tell us if that girl was rewarded with her freedom for essentially sending Naaman to the prophet to be healed. I wrote the happily ever after.

Have you ever cried while writing a book?
Yes, definitely. I know I am writing well if I’m crying and my critique partner is crying. The number one job of a writer is to elicit emotion from the reader. I know I have done my job if there are wadded up tissues on my desk.

How well did you do in English class as a kid?
I was A material with spelling words and using them in sentences. I still struggle with comma usage and other grammatical details. I took a grammar class recently and discovered there are different types of sentences. Who knew? I flunked some of the homework assignments. That is why I love my editors.

Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp? If so, what is it and why?
When I taught chapel to elementary students, my husband would always challenge me not to tell a story, but to think of the theology behind it, and why God placed this story in the Bible. Easy, right? So, all my books have a theme. For “Providence: Hannah’s Journey,” the theme is God is in control even in the chaos of life. I let each reader pull out the theology in the novel.

As I reviewed the galley for Hannah’s story, I was battling breast cancer. I needed to remind myself every day that God was in control no matter the outcome. Praise the Lord, for it seems I am cancer free.

What is your favorite comfort food?
Easy peasy. It’s chocolate. But I can be a chocolate snob. I grew up in the San Francisco Bay Area, home to See’s Candies, so dark chocolate butter creams are my favorite chocolate. I have many, many close seconds. And I am open to discovering new favorites.

If you were stranded on a desert island, what three things would be essential for you?

A cell phone. A cell phone tower. Unlimited fresh water. I know some would say a Bible, but I hope I have enough Scripture stored in my heart that I could recite it to myself. Prayer just comes with the territory—no pun intended.

Do you laugh at your own jokes?
Of course, even if no one else does. Laughter is the best medicine to calming the stress in life.

Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?
Thank you so much for reading Hannah’s Journey. It’s exciting to have a book release into the world, but it’s also scary. I am grateful for the support of my readers.

Want to learn more?

My website: www.barbarambritton.com
Facebook
Twitter
Goodreads

My real name is Barbara M. Britton. The journeys will continue in February with “Building Benjamin: Naomi’s Journey.”
 
Thanks to Barbara for stopping by today. Be sure to pick up her debut Biblical fiction, Providence: Hannah's Journey.
 


Visit all the stops along the tour


10 comments:

  1. Oh, how I miss See's candy since I've moved to Texas! I love the milk chocolate buttercreams. And the orange buttercreams. And...and...and...

    Your husband's advice was right on, wasn't it? Great advice for a Sunday School teacher and for a writer of Christian fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are buttercream sisters! I like the dark chocolate buttercreams from See's. The milk chocolate buttercreams are a close second.
    I think my husband gets a kick that I actually listened to his advice.
    Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never had See's candy ... I'll have to look out for it next time I'm in the area (I wish!).

    Thanks for visiting, Barbara!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy to be here Iola. I grew up on See's Candy in San Francisco where the candy shops began. Now there's a shop in a mall here in Wisconsin. The chocolates taste fresh. And I'm not being paid in chocolate to stay this.

      Delete
  4. My dad lived in California when he was a kid and so my grandmother used to send us the See's lollipops growing up. They were so good!

    I'm having so much fun following your tour, Barbara! I'm with you on the crying. I cried twice writing my last book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Molly! Thanks for stopping by. See's was giving free lollipops with a purchase in September. As if I needed freebies to get me into the store.
    I think crying while you write is good. It means your character is feeling what we "humans" feel. We're on the right track when we shed a few tears.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Molly! Thanks for stopping by. See's was giving free lollipops with a purchase in September. As if I needed freebies to get me into the store.
    I think crying while you write is good. It means your character is feeling what we "humans" feel. We're on the right track when we shed a few tears.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love See's. My husband and I used to travel to San Fran every year when his parents lived there. I miss buying them at the airport. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited to have a store nearby. It's not great for the waistline though. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
    2. I'm excited to have a store nearby. It's not great for the waistline though. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete